Greg and I spent a weekend in celebration of our 6 year anniversary backpacking in the Sierra Nevada's. While I can not say that is was the best experience ever, I can say it was exciting, more so the second half of it, (i.e. after we'd climbed up the mountain.) and something I want to make a tradition in our lives. The way up was, as you would imagine if you've ever been backpacking, difficult for me. I was not expecting the first hour of back pain, second hour of shoulder pain, third hour of calve pain, and fourth hour of pure torture for my entire body. Although, once up there, and in the moments my pack was not on my back, it was beautiful. Up there in the mountains is always pretty . It was so fun to be together to talk, laugh, and love each other, as well as eat and sleep in the woods. Time alone was and always is needed so that we are not distracted by our work, or kids, or home 'projects,' and I loved it because its so important to keep our relationship strong. Someday the kids will come along, and that will be another set of great memories and family building time.
On the way down the mountain is was raining, as it was our last night. We had a great Eureka tent, in memory of Northwestern. And we stayed dry as a feather. But we failed to bring ponchos so we improvised and I worn Greg's pants half way down the mountain too.
To me, life does get sweeter when you have little Greg and Amanda's running around the house, but there is something so much more important to me in our relationship. I know that the kids will be gone one day and I always want it to be a priority that we will not forget that our kids are God's, just as we are. He gave them to us to raise, love, teach and let go, to follow his calling. I'm thankful that I get to give the responsibility to him to take them on their journey, no worries, because they are His. Just as I see God has done all this time and will continue for Greg and I, carrying us where he's called us to, no worries, he gives us everyday we have, and he knows how many there will be. Backpacking together was a great way to spend some of those days.
Thankfully, for me, the mosquitoes were not as bad as they were for us!
3 comments:
HOW FUN! Thanks for showing those pictures! Wish we lived out there to go backpacking in the mountains! I probably wouldn't make it though!!! HA, HA!!! :) LOVE YOU!
you're superwoman! Remember hallet's peak? I almost didn't survive that one, and I'm sure it's nothin compared to what you did. :)
So glad you had that time away together..its so important! We love and miss all of you!
Dad & I did some hiking in Kentucky with Kevin & Kate...does that count? I'm sure glad I didn't have the backpack on my back!
Post a Comment