Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fallen Behind

We have one and a half shelves full of our canned peaches. We spent the day last week Friday from 8 am to 3 pm canning 160 jars of peaches. Yum. Thankfully we had 7 of us to share in the labor and reap the benefits. I hope the closet keeps filling up. So far this year I've canned some strawberry jelly and peaches. We are hoping to add to that salsa, spaghetti sauce and maybe some beans. We planted a new set of climbing beans in our front yard, and they are about 3 inches tall so far. We haven't had luck keeping our tomatoes from the squirrels in the backyard, our tomato plants are huge, but the green tomatoes keep disappearing. :(

My one recipe a week started out great but I have fallen a little behind as we found ourselves surrounding with company for a few days, a nasty cold the whole family was lucky enough to get, and a tired mommy. Never the less, I tried another one last night. My revised goal is try really hard to do a new recipe once a week and don't dismay when it does not happen.

This was a hearty and very healthy Veggie Pot Pie. The cooking directions were a little confusing because I always thought of pot pies being cooked in a pie dish. So that is what I attempted. This is definitely way too big to fit in a pie plate, so put it in a 9x13 pan for sure. And it never says to cook the veggies with the crust, so I just baked the crust and cooked the veggies over the stove and poured them on top of the warm crust. The crust is sweet and moist because its made from mostly sweet potatoes, it smelled delicious.

No comments: