Greg and I dream more than once a week about moving to the country and living on the farm, raising our food and teaching our children the way most everyone used to live before corporations, industrial farms and all the big business attitudes came around. I do not doubt that hard times could be coming for our generation soon. I know that 'big business' has made things cheaper for people who are financially struggling, but if we strive to have less, to live on less, and to purchase less, and most importantly to live more self sufficiently as they 'used to,' (or support/buy from those who are working for this,) we would be better off. Sadly, so many of this generation has no idea how to do any of these things that our ancestors did everyday. We can blame the government for changing the times and encouraging the wrong things, but personally, each of us choosing to get on the boat, or try to change our habits now will help produce change.
Since we have moved into the home we are living in now, I have started to get rid of something every month, but not just throwing things away. I want to be continually pushing myself to live with less, by giving it to someone with a need, and being more resourceful with what we do have, borrowing items instead of running out to purchase and have our own, taking things apart and recycling the useful materials.
There are hundreds of ways for us to simplify. One way I believe is a fabulous way to be creative and resourceful is in gifting. I'm a big believer in passing on items, hand-me-downs, garage sales, etc., mostly because it encourages stewardship. And how many of us have a number of items in our house that are great, but we never use them. There is something in us that thinks we need to have new everything, when gifting can be as simple and fun to create something from within our valued possessions.
One other thing I did a couple months ago helped me deal with some extra clutter in the dreaded storage closet. My husband and I have finally collected all our possessions from our parents that they had been storing for us. I wanted to condense this down as well, so I bought two plastic totes and we each have one to fill with our belongings of the past, or keepsakes. This will be the limit for each of us, if we fill it, we must get rid of something in it to put something else inside to keep. I want to have the same idea for my kids as they grow up, to keep the 'stuff' limited.
How easy it is for us to be attached to the smallest 'things' in our life. I am not encouraging going through our homes and throwing everything away, because that does not help things out at all to produce more waste on a whim and then go out and buy more. I think just taking a moment to think about something I might want to purchase and ask myself if I really need it first, and if we can afford it second, and if it is a environmentally friendly product as well. We are so used to the throw away mentality, it is pretty scary. And not only that but the products we buy for cleaning, fertilizing, spraying, killing, the list is endless as to how much we really are hurting the earth without thinking about it first.
My cousin recommended this website to me, and I am passing it on to the few who read my blog. :) It is called the story of stuff. I watched it this morning and it is so informative for me to re-emphasize what I have been thinking about. It will open up your mind, for all of us who just do not think about where our purchases, which mostly turn into trash, go when we bring them out to the curb. Greg and I have really been working on producing less trash, by recycling everything we can and not purchasing items we can not recycle. We've even had weeks with nothing in our trash can to take to the curb. It is an encouragement to me that we are making a difference in our own lives and being intentional.
2 comments:
Amanda, I haven't watched the video yet, I'll have to come back to it tomorrow since it is late. This topic has been on my heart lately too since we've been helping my parents get ready for an auction and deal with all the "stuff" they have accumulated over the 35 years of marriage, yikes! I've also been thinking a lot about "stuff" because we've closely been following the Hurricanes affects on Haiti and the orphans that are so dear to our hearts. The Haitians now do not have even one possession, not even a dry, clean shirt to change into...most haven't eaten in a week or more since Hanna hit. I think a lot about how the world's resources are so unfairly distributed and how the US hords them...how our closets over flow and the majority of the world is in utter poverty. I pray we would all be more aware of how we could help our neighbors, our friends in Haiti or who ever is thirsty, hungry, or naked. I pray that we would never hesitate in our generosity. Good night friend, Diane
so, I'm not sure if you blog mostly for yourself or mostly for other people. But I want to make sure that you know I love reading it. I admit that I don't feel "called" to do so many of the things you are doing. I am not sure if it's a calling or not. But I honestly don't even THINK about most of the things you write about. Until I read it here. And you are definately making me think more. I am slowly changing certain things, small things. But it's things I never would have thought about before. you're making progress...one at a time. :)
Post a Comment