Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Chicken update

Our chickens started in a chicken tractor. Then we gave them a fence around the chicken tractor and cut a hole in the tractor to get out. Now, we've been letting them out of the fenced area and into our backyard to roam free. They love it and we love to watch them explore. They have even wandered into our front yard by our garden beds in the front of the house... oops. I think it is so fun to watch them walk around and they follow us around our yard, which makes them feel more like our pets. We have come to love having them around.
I keep thinking about all the chickens raised on factory farms that never get to go outside and eat worms or scratch around in the dirt. It is much more saddening to me now that we have our chickens and we get to see them enjoy being outside from 7 am to 6 pm everyday. I recommend it to anyone to give it a try, you can start with one.


I just read the chapter in Sleeth's book about food for thought. He gives a great quote about how to start being responsible with what we eat. "The first steps are surprisingly easy- and satisfying - to take. Find ways of buying, cooking, and storing food that use less energy. Pick an area like gardening or buying locally raised produce, or cutting down on meat and searching out local sources, and begin." And I add to this, read books. There are so many people out there who have started to do the research, (Omnivore's Dilemma) and get the facts,(Crunchy Cons, Serve God, Save the Planet) and who have done the experiments, (Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Better Off), these are only a few that I have begun reading, there are so many out there. The library really is an amazing place to use, everything is at your fingertips.

No comments: